Hospitals and other healthcare service providers are complex, high-pressure environments which require well-trained professionals capable of juggling multiple responsibilities. In today’s modern facilities, healthcare administration can involve elements of personnel management, accounting, project management, and IT systems administration, among other skills.
Vista College offers an online Bachelor of Science Degree in Healthcare Administration that can be completed in approximately 200 weeks*. The program involves 1,890 clock hours of training in topics specific to health care administration, as well as more general subjects such as speech communications and psychology that will make graduates both more attractive candidates and more effective professionals.
Upon completion, degree holders will be well-positioned to apply for entry-level health care administrator jobs or to pursue further study at the graduate level.
* Based on successful, full-time enrollment
Healthcare administrators must be highly adaptable, skilled problem solvers. They must be prepared to take a leadership role when necessary, while remaining excellent team players. The field can be extremely rewarding, though it demands a lifelong commitment to learning, as well as patience, empathy, and other interpersonal skills. In many smaller offices, a health care administrator may be required to handle basic IT duties, particularly around the management of electronic health records, in addition to the following:
- Planning and managing the delivery of services in a hospital, doctor’s office, outpatient clinic, or other health care settings
- Budgeting to ensure an organization’s successful operation from a business perspective
- Meeting HIPAA and other privacy requirements and making sure care providers can access the information they need to deliver a high quality of service to all patients
You’ll Learn How To:
- Facilitate the delivery of vital services to patients
- Work effectively with doctors, nurses, and other care providers
- Maintain electronic medical records
- Develop accurate budgets and manage personnel issues
- Create effective policies and procedures