As part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the Department of Education has provided a limited amount of emergency grant aid funds for students who had expenses related to the disruption of their education due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The funds are for additional expenses such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare, and childcare. Because all students attending classes on campus shifted to distance education, we are assuming that all of the students who started courses on campus incurred some of these additional expenses.
Additionally, the Department of Education has mandated that students who have incurred these additional expenses be required to be eligible for Federal Student Aid to receive the CARES Act emergency grant aid funds. Students must meet the following criteria to satisfy this mandate. Students who do not meet all of the following criteria will not be eligible to receive any emergency grant aid fund.
- Be currently enrolled and actively attending Vista College at the time of disbursement*
- Have filed or be eligible to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Not owe a refund on a Federal Pell Grant or be in default of a Federal Student Loan to the Department of Education
- Be in a satisfactory academic progress status
- Have proof of a high school diploma/GED or completed high school in an approved home school setting
- Be a citizen or eligible noncitizen**
- Have a valid Social Security Number **
- Have registered with Selective Service, if male**
- Have signed a statement of educational purpose stating that the money attributable to such grant, loan, or loan guarantee will be used solely for expenses related to attendance or continued attendance at such institution**
* Students enrolled in the Vista College Online Richardson campus are not eligible for these funds per the Department of Education. See pg. 4 at https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/heerfstudentfaqs.pdf
** These items are part of the FAFSA application process and you attest to them when you filed or verified upon completing your filing; therefore, no further action is required.
Vista College encourages students to set up direct deposit (ACH) in order to expedite access to any funds disbursed, but it is not required. For students without ACH, Vista College will mail a physical check to the address on file in the Student Information System. Students are responsible for ensuring that their contact information is accurate. Students may set up direct deposit and update contact information in the Student Portal.
Students who accept the CARES Act emergency grant aid funds confirm that they have incurred the required expenses and meet the above-listed eligibility requirements. Students selected for this grant who have not incurred the required additional expenses must notify Vista College at the email address below.
Students with questions may email email@example.com or call 972-733-3431, EXT 1789.
Want to set up ACH and don’t have a bank account?
Vista College students who want to open a bank account, please note the following information just for you from BBVA Bank:
Vista College is proud to partner with BBVA to provide access to FREE bank services to our students.
Setting up this bank account will also help you to access CARES funds more quickly with direct deposit.
BBVA created BBVA Free Checking just for busy, mobile, tech-savvy students like you. Some of the features of BBVA Free Checking are:
- No monthly Service Charge means more money for textbooks (or pizza)
- No ATM fees for BBVA USA ATMs*
- Free award-winning Mobile Banking app with Mobile Deposit® and Bill Pay, that allows you to bank from anywhere
- One free Standard Visa® Debit Card per account holder, eligible for Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung, so you can pay retailers from your smartphone
- Option to activate and earn money with Simple Cash BackSM – a program that rewards you for debit card purchases at popular retailers
*Frequently use other banks’ ATMs? No problem. For a low monthly fee, our Custom Features gives you the option to receive up to 4 automatic rebates per statement cycle on ATM fees charged by other banks.
The special code only for Vista College students must be entered during the account opening in order to receive benefits. Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the special code.
Contact us today to learn more and get started.
Vice President – WSO
848 West Spring Creek Pkwy., Plano, Tx. 75023